Changes to Visa Purposes from 01 July 2020
28 May 2020
There is a notable change related to visa purposes according to Law no. 51/2019/QH14 – amendments to a number of articles of Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
In order to facilitate situations where foreign individuals enter Vietnam for the purpose of sightseeing/tourism, and then seek a visa conversion for other purposes, the Government supplemented Article 7, allowing the change of a visa purpose under certain conditions, namely:
– Evidence of being an investor or a representative of a foreign organization investing in Vietnam according to the provisions of Vietnamese law;
– Foreign individual has a document proving a direct family relationship with a Vietnamese citizen – father, mother, spouse, child;
– Foreign individual is invited or guaranteed by agencies or organizations and has a work permit/certificate of work permit exemption in accordance with the Labour Code of Vietnam; or
– Foreign individual enters by an electronic visa and has a work permit/certificate of work permit exemption in accordance with the Labour Code of Vietnam.
“Article 7. Uses and formats of visa
1. A visa may be for single or multiple entries and its purpose must not be changed.
2. Each person shall be issued with a separate visa, except for children under 14 who will be issued with visas in the same passports of their parents or guardians.
3. Visa shall be issued in the passport or issued separately.”
To amend and supplement Article 7 as follows:
“Article 7.- Forms and uses of visas
1. Visa shall be issued in the passport or issued separately or via electronic transactions. Visas issued through electronic transactions are electronic visas.
2. Each visa is granted individually, except for the following cases:
3. The visa is valid for single or multiple entries; e-visas and visas issued for the cases specified at Point b, Clause 2 of this Article are valid for single entry.
4. Visas may not be converted for another purpose, except for the following cases:
5. Where there is a change of visa purpose according to the provisions of Clause 4 of this Article, a new visa shall be granted with a symbol and time limit suitable to the purpose of conversion. The process and procedures for granting new visas will comply with Article 19 of this Law”.